Quick Tips For Editing
As a student, your life in school will mostly revolve around various forms of writing. The process of writing brings a lot of uncertainties to a student because it involves a lot of processes including searching for information, crafting a sensible paper and finally editing it. The process of selecting and preparing audible, visual and written work is referred to as editing. At The Grade Miners, we mainly focus on editing written works since this is where most students are directly involved. As you begin to write, you need to understand the following about editing:
Types of editing
- Copy editing. The editor corrects grammar, usage of words, repetition, and Copy editing is done so that the material in question is ready to be published. After copy editing, the design and typesetting is done, and the book/work is ready for publishing.
- Substantive editing. This is the most intense form of editing. It involves evaluating the whole document for problems with structure, logical consistency and organization of words and paragraphs. It is during substantive editing that sentences may be removed or added. Rewriting of paragraphs, condensing and expanding may take place.
- Proofreading. This is the lightest form of editing. It involves correcting the minor mistakes like grammar, capitalization, errors in spelling and the usage of words.
- The editor will correct the document to ensure it uses the recommended format. This is mostly used in cases where the work had a specification on the format to be used.
- Reviewing. Editors sometimes provide a page of the manuscript that highlight areas that need change. Editing ensures that there is no repetition of words and that the article will be enjoyable to the reader. At The Grade Miners, we ensure our students get the best custom written papers.
Note: You will need to read every sentence keenly and be able to identify its function in that paragraph as you continue editing. Analyze the sentences that follow the sentence that you are focusing on and ensure that the connection between the sentences is clear. Finally, evaluate the design of each sentence. This can be achieved by following three main steps;
Steps in editing
For one to be a good editor, they need to follow some steps that help them come up with well-edited articles.
- Manage sentence length. The length of different sentences varies according to the needs of the section. Short sentences leave connections between them incomplete since they communicate individual ideas, while long sentences make connections between ideas. Ensure that there is a good balance of both types of sentences. Additionally, you can get in touch with us at The Grade Miners and we will help you with your editing.
- Strengthen the grammatical structure of the sentence. Ensure the subject, verb and object agree and ensure they are not buried by complex sentences.
- The ASAP principle. While many people associate ASAP with as soon as possible, here at The Grade Miners, we advocate for as short as possible. We understand that some readers do not like long passages, so we work to ensure your article is as short as possible and it contains all the necessary information.